Technological Institute Plaza Replacement
Walker Restoration Consultants
Jose de Avila & Associates
The Care of Trees
ILASLA Merit Award, 2010
Originally constructed by Holabird and Root in 1942, the plaza was renovated in the 1970s to improve access by replacing almost all of the stairs with a long inclined plane. However, this altered the originally-intended relationship between the building and its courtyard plaza.
When these earlier renovations showed their age — including water and root damage and overgrown trees and shrubs which obscured the building and cast strong shadows on the plaza for much of the day — Hitchcock Design Group and the project team were commissioned to design and document the plaza renovation. This included the replacement of pavers, installation of new plant material, addition of pedestrian and effect lighting, and the repair of stone walls where needed. The design also restored the original stairs-and-terrace vocabulary while also providing universal accessibility.
The design provides convenient bicycle parking and message boards. In addition, the renovated plaza is designed to accommodate small event tents and student functions.