Originally constructed by Holabird and Root in 1942, the plaza was renovated in the 1970s to improve access by removing almost all stairs to create a long ramp. However, this altered the intended relationship between the building and its courtyard plaza. When these earlier renovations began to show their age—including water and root damage and overgrown trees and shrubs which obscured the building and gave a dark appearance to the plaza—Hitchcock Design Group and the project team were commissioned to design and document the plaza renovation. This included the replacement of pavers, installation of new plant material, addition of pedestrian and effect lighting, repair of stone walls as needed, and the restoration of the original stairs-and-terrace vocabulary where possible while still providing ADA accessibility. The plan also provides bicycle parking and message boards so students have an alternative to taping promotional fliers on the pavers. In addition, the renovated plaza is designed to accommodate small event tents and student functions.