Preserve Natural Character of the Park
- The park’s open and natural character will be maintained with a few new activities of interest that support the enjoyment of the park.
- New recommendations consider the protection and preservation of the park’s majestic trees.
Improve Connectivity and Parking
- Adjust the parking lot to allow for 2-way traffic circulation, additional parking, and a drop-off area for buses that can be used for additional parking during designated times.
- Repurpose the central entry drive as a dedicated pedestrian entry to enhance walkability to the park.
- The main east/west pedestrian path will be widened with adjustments to the alignment and new lights for increased pedestrian visibility and a stronger link to downtown and adjacent neighborhoods.
- Enhance path entries at all locations around the park for improved connectivity and visibility.
Enhance Existing Amenities.
- Renovate the existing three hard surface tennis courts.
- Replace the existing basketball court with a new full regulation-size basketball court in the park’s SW corner north of the tennis courts.
- Renovate the field house for improved program space.
- Renovate the north restroom pavilion for improved program space.
Re-purpose Existing and Add New Community Desired Recreation
- Improve connectivity between the four play areas with a plaza centrally located to provide a gathering area for families.
- Activate the northeast corner of the park with enhanced landscaping and a small plaza with seating and pergola, including an opportunity for a memorial garden. The activated space seeks to improve connectivity, visibility, and additional passive recreation on the north-end.
- Natural style amphitheater area for programs and events, including outdoor classroom use.
- Splash pad proposed near the main east-west path convenient to playground visitors. A multi-use surface splash pad could be used for other events and as a gathering space in off-peak times with a pergola type structure for shaded seating.
- Wheel-friendly plaza containing street style skate features, with the plaza being a multi-use seating space for events with shade structures and tables. *
- A dedicated skate park with potential skate elements such as stairs, ramps, and rails. *
- Pump track for bikes and scooters to complement the skating and scooter uses. *
* The addition of these amenities would not occur until the Park District implements their district-wide athletic field improvements, which would allow for the removal of this baseball field.